Adrenal fatigue is something that I’ve been dealing with for years now. I don’t need to get all sciency on you but, simply put adrenal fatigue happens when we over stress our body with stimulants like caffeine, high-intensity exercise, constant computer/cell phone use, and just being busy non-stop (because being busy is “cool” these days).
Ever since I got home from the road trip I’ve felt exhausted. I wake up tired even after getting 9 hours of sleep. I feel like I’m lagging through the days and haven’t had the energy to be my best self.
I’ve had to cut down the intensity of my workouts and have been turning to caffeine for fuel which only makes me more tired. Although I only drink decaf coffee, it still affects me when I’m already rundown.
- Too much caffeine from coffee and dark chocolate
- Too much Instagram and social media, not enough relaxation without stimulation
- Too much cardio, fast-paced circuit training, and HIIT, not enough yoga
- Too much saying yes to plans, not enough alone time spent reading, writing and meditating.
I’ve decided that this is the week that I really need to give myself an intervention. I need to get real about fixing the problem sooner than later so that I can get back to being my energetic self.
This Friday I’ll be in NYC for a night, followed by a Sam Hunt concert Saturday night and I really want to feel good for the weekend. I’m on a mission to get my act together.
I’ll be treating the following week as a recovery. Although I’d like to stick with the Bikini Series Challenge that I’ve been participating in for the past 8 weeks, there’s no way that I can do that in my current state if I want to feel better by Friday.
My focus will be on…
- cutting back on the caffeine
- turning my phone onto airplane mode after dinner so that I’m not tempted to scroll through IG
- eating really balanced meals with lots of veggies
- drinking tons of water
- yoga, pilates and walking style workouts
- remembering to take my b-complex
- spending QT with a good book curled up on the sofa
I’ll be sure to let you know how it goes.
Does anyone else deal with adrenal fatigue? How do you bounce back from a few exhausting weeks?